August Black is an artist and technologist who researches and practices in the overlapping areas of art, science, media, design, and critical theory. His research interests include the politics and production of media formats and the techno-social impact of distribution networks. He works in diverse media such as radio, video/film, installation, and software. He has exhibited internationally at venues such as the Ars Electronica Festival (Linz,Austria), Künstlerhaus (Graz, Austria), the pixelache festival (Helsinki Finland), the Dutch Electronic Arts Festival (Rotterdam, Netherlands), the ICC (Tokyo, Japan), the Transmediale festival (Berlin, Germany), and the Piksel festival (Bergen, Norway).
- University of California, Santa Barbara - PhD in Media Arts & Technology, September 2011.
- University of California, Santa Barbara - MS in Multimedia Engineering, October 2005
- Syracuse University - BFA in Special Studies (Film,Video,Sculpture) , 1997
- UCSB Dean's Advancement Award 2011
- Philip & Aida Siff Foundation Graduate Fellowship 2010-11
- UCSB Interdisciplinary Humanities Center pre-doctoral fellowship, 2009-2010
- National Science Foundation Fellowship in Interactive Media (IGERT), 2003-2005.
- Multiple grants from the Austrian Council for the Arts (Bundeskanzleramt) for travel and independent projects, 2000-2003
- Clements Scholarship, Syracuse University, 1996
- Syracuse University Merit Scholarship for Visual Art, 1993-1997
- Syracuse University Chancellors Scholarship, 1993-1997
- Maryland Artist Equity Scholarship, 1993-1997
- Maryland Governor's Citation for the Arts, 1993
- Maryland Scholastic Award , 1993
- 2012-present, Software Engineer - Cycling '74
- 2012, Adjunct Professor - USF
- 2012, Research Associate - UCSC Coastal Marine & Freshwater Ecosystems Lab, PISCO
- 2011-12, Self-Employed - Oakland, CA - Software developer.
- 2010-2011, Ecology Department, UCSC Sta.Cruz, CA - Research associate on CAMEO NSF project: a collaborative art-science project building a unique database of food web interactions.
- 2008-2009, Self-Employed - San Miguel de Allende, Mexico - Artist & Software Developer
- 2005-2007, BioImage Research Lab, UCSB - Sta. Barbara, CA - Artist in Residence/Research Associate. Research in the areas of volume rendering, multimedia database applications and high resolution tiled display systems.
- 2000-2003, Self-Employed - Vienna, Austria - Artist, Graphic Designer, Software Developer, & Translator
- 1998-2000, Ars Electronica Futurelab - Linz, Austria - Artist/Researcher in Residence
- 1996-1998, ORF Kunstradio - Vienna, Austria - Developer and Production Assistant
- 2012, XARTS Department, USF - San Francisco, CA - Adjunct Professor, interaction design.
- 2010, Art Department, UCSB - Sta. Barbara, CA - Lecture Associate for Art 122, advanced digital art.
- 2010, Film and Media Department, UCSB - Sta. Barbara, CA - Teaching Assistant for FM192, film theory.
- 2007-2008, Film and Media Studies, UCSB - Sta. Barbara, CA - Teaching assistant for Film Analysis.
- 2007-2008, Art Department, UCSB - Sta. Barbara, CA - Teaching assistant Digital Art Studio.
- 2005, Media Art & Technology - Sta. Barbara, CA - Teaching assistant for Visual Design Through Algorithms.
- 2011, LabSurLab Festival - Medellín, Colombia - Workshop on audio-video streaming using only free software tools. Part of the LabSurLab festival at the Museo de Arte Moderno in Medellín, Colombia
- 2010, Isuma TV - Igloolik, Nunavut, Canada - Workshop on free software and video production using FLOSS tools at Isuma TV.
- 2009, Centro Nacional de las Artes - Mexico City, Mexico - 3 day workshop on video production using free software video tools.
- 2003, Sibelius Academy - Helsinki, Finland - Artist Lecture and 3 day workshop on streaming media and software art.
- 2012, Libre Graphics Unit, Bergen, Norway - Presentation of the Underweb software.
- 2012, Linux Wochen Linz, Austria - Presentation of the Underweb software.
- 2011, Piksel Festival Bergen, Norway - Presentation of the Underweb software.
- 2009, Red de los Medios Libres - Mexico City, Mexico Lecture on free software and radio production.
- 2009, Biblioteca Publica - San Miguel de Allende - Lecture on free software titled "Nerds & Politics".
- 2008, Kyoto University of Art - Kyoto, Japan Artist Lecture with Alien Productions
- 2008, Transmediale Berlin,Germany - Presentation of the film KAOS at the "Conspiracy" seminars of the 2008 Transmediale festival. Lecture on the relationship of free software and art.
- 2007, Interdisciplinary Humanities Center - Santa Barbara, CA Lecture on radio art, sound sculptures, and radio by artists.
- 2006, Fishbon - Santa Barbara, CA Lecture on free software.
- 2005, Pixelache Festival - Helsinki,Finland Lecture on radio art tools; Userradio at the Kiasma Museaum.
- 2004, Piksel Festival Bergen, Norway UserRadio presentation
- 2003, Sibelius Academy - Helsinki, Finland Artist Lecture and 3 day workshop on streaming media and software art.
- 2002, Art University of Linz, Austria Lecture on radio by artist.
- 1997, Akademie der Kunst - Vienna, Austria - Artist Lecture on my video work.
- Foreign Languages: Fluent in German. Advanced Spanish.
- Computer Languages: Expert in Vala, C, C++, Ecmascript, HTML, XML, Python, SQL, PHP. Proficient with Perl, Java, LaTeX, Unix shell.
- Artistic: Proficient in pencil, ink, paint and brush, as well as computer aided print and screen design. Experienced at designing and building of prototypical objects in various materials.
- Operating Systems: Linux (Debian/Ubuntu, Red Hat, Gentoo), Mac OS X, UNIX (several variants)
- "UserRadio (2002)" In Transmission Arts: Artists & Airwaves, New York 2011, PAJ, ISBN 978-1-55554-151-4
- "An Anatomy of Radio" In Re-Inventing Radio: Aspects of Radio as Art,Frankfurt/Main 2008, Revolver, ISBN 978-3-86588-453-4
- "Blindsight is 20/20" In Re-Inventing Radio: Aspects of Radio as Art,Frankfurt/Main 2008, Revolver, ISBN 978-3-86588-453-4
- "Userradio" In Proceedings of the 12th annual ACM international conference on Multimedia, New York, NY, 2004, ACM, ISBN:1-58113-893-8
- "An online database for informing ecological network models: http://kelpforest.ucsc.edu" In PLoS One. 2014 Oct 24;9(10):e109356. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0109356. eCollection 2014.